Reward upgrades, updated probabilities, more

Official announcements about Conclave.

Reward upgrades, updated probabilities, more

Postby 10x10room » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Hot on the heels of the character customization release, we've got a new set of changes that we'd been holding off on releasing until character customization had gotten out the door.

Kickstarter upgrades

First, ever since the Kickstarter ended, we've had people emailing us to see if they could upgrade their reward. Now you can! If you already have a Boggart, Scout, Vanguard, Beacon, or Guildmaster reward, head over to the Conclave Store. You'll see that you can now upgrade your reward to as high as the Spireguard level. Take advantage of upgrades now, because we won't be keeping them - or our current pricing, or even many rewards - available for long. Our plan is to change over the store to sell pre-orders of the game itself, rather than Kickstarter rewards, in early January, and prices will increase at that point.

Probabilities and success tiers

Second, we've changed the way probabilities are calculated in the game, as well as the results of different levels of success when trying to hit somebody in combat. Previously, there were three success tiers you could achieve when making a check - "normal", "great", and "epic" - and there was a very large probabilistic gap between "normal" and "great" success. Now there is a new success tier between "normal" and "great" which, all other things being equal, you'll achieve about half the time. Additionally, we've thrown out the old "epic" success tier entirely. You can explore the full probability table in the Quick Reference.

The way different levels of success affect the damage you deal with an attack has now changed as well. The end result is that you'll deal damage and create conditions about as often as before, but the details have changed. Now, a normal success only deals between minimum damage and "midpoint" damage: halfway between minimum and maximum damage. For example, if you deal 2-6 damage with your attack, a normal success will produce 2-4 damage. A solid result deals between midpoint and maximum damage (4-6 in the previous example). And a great result deals maximum damage, and also creates a negative condition. (Because great results happen just as often as before, you'll also have the same chances of creating conditions with your attacks as in the past.) So do what you can to get those solid and great results: they make a big difference in the damage you do!

Condition recovery and maintenance

Third, the way we handle recovery from negative conditions - and maintenance of positive ones - has changed. The old system turned out to be both broken and difficult to fix without an overhaul. (In fact, part of the reason for the introduction of the new "solid" success tier was to help us sort out condition recovery and maintenance, and make it sane and relatively easy to understand.) Under the new system, you always need to make a solid check to get rid of bad conditions or keep good ones; recovery gets easier each round, and maintenance gets harder.

Here are more details of what happens after you receive a condition:

• At the end of the round, if you took a major action after receiving the condition, there's a chance it will expire. If you didn't yet take a major action, the condition is guaranteed to continue. (This makes sure that characters always get at least one chance to take advantage of a positive condition during their major action. Note that things have always worked this way, but we've never been explicit about the mechanic before.)
  • On the first round after receiving the condition, you make a check against one of your traits. The trait depends on the condition; you can see details in the Quick Reference. If you get at least a solid success, you get rid of the condition if it's negative, or maintain if it's positive.
  • The first time you make this check, it's at -3 if you are trying to recover from a condition, or +3 if you are trying to maintain one. Each round after that, recovery gets +1 easier, while maintenance gets -1 harder.
Unnoticed and vulnerability dodge modifiers

Finally, we've changed the modifiers that unnoticed and vulnerability produce. Previously, unnoticed didn't help you Dodge at all; much of the time, this didn't matter, because you can't be targeted when you are unnoticed, but you can still get caught up in area effects where Dodge applies. Now, unnoticed gives you +2 to Dodge.

Vulnerability used to give a -2 to Dodge. This was pretty nasty, especially given that vulnerability also opens you up to being attacked with a variety of strong abilities (especially from Rogues). Now it gives -1 instead.

As always, we look forward to your feedback on these changes!
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: Reward upgrades, updated probabilities, more

Postby Crazypoet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 pm

A question on the checks used to maintain or recover from conditions...

How do you calculate the Object score for these? I've been working under an assumption that the Subject is calculated as you describe in the reference (level plus trait plus modifiers) and the Object score is the same calculation without modifiers. This is the only approach I could see that takes modifications into account.

Am I even in the ballpark here? This is the one calculation that I couldn't find in the reference...
Crazypoet

Postby 10x10room » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Good question, and something we need to make sure to cover in the Quick Reference.

In general, when any being needs to make a check, and the check is not opposed someone or something in particular, we simply use the character's level + 5 as the object.

Condition recovery and maintenance is an example of a check where there is no specific opposition to it, and where the character's level is therefore used as the opposition. So let's say I am dazed, and it's my first round to attempt recovery. Dazed requires a Will check to recover. I'm a level 3 character with a Will of 7, reduced to 6 by the fact that I am dazed. My check score is 6 (my modified Will) + 3 (my level) - 3 (situational modifier for this being the first round on which I'm attempting to recover) = 6. The opposing check score is 3 (my level) + 5 = 8. So I have a check score differential of -2. We can see from the Quick Reference probabilities table that I only have a 36% chance of recovery this turn. Next turn the differential will be -1, so I'll have a 43% chance of recovery; the following turn, if I'm still dazed, the differential will be 0, and I'll have a 50% chance to recover.

Note also that the table is incorrect about the percentage chance of a solid result at a -1 differential (as I just noticed while coming up with the above example!). It should be 43%. I'll make sure we get that corrected.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby Crazypoet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Thank you for clarifying!

This had been a true head-scratcher for me... :?:
Crazypoet

Return to Announcements