New release: Basic animations and music!

Official announcements about Conclave.

New release: Basic animations and music!

Postby 10x10room » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Animations

As of today, when a combatant moves on the battlefield, you’ll actually see its token slide from one square to the next. Whether Moving or Dashing or Charging (or being pushed by a foe), tokens will actually appear to move instead of merely teleporting.

This is the first of a number of animations we plan to add the game over the next weeks, enhancing the way we display various events, from using a spell to taking damage. Our goal with animations is not to fill Conclave with whiz-bang, but to enhance immersion and make the action easier to grasp. We think the movement animations represent a major step in this important direction.

Music

Today also sees a basic rollout of music into the game. If you play Conclave from something other than a mobile, then as soon as you reach a quest, you should start hearing music! We’ve put a limited selection of tracks into the game, so that as you move from quest selection to voting to combat, you’ll hear different music.

Mobile users: Today, we are doing our best to detect whether you are browsing from a mobile device, and turning off music automatically if you are. This is because many mobiles have either relatively low-bandwidth connections, or are associated with limited data plans, so we don’t want to foist a bandwidth hog like music upon you. That said, we want to give mobile users who like music an option to play it, and will be thinking about the best way to do this.

Next, we plan to add the ability to associate music with specific story moments. For example, we want to be able to play our happier music when things go well for your party, scary music when you face Nightmarish foes, and so on. That will also give us the opportunity to expose the complete soundtrack within the game - not just the limited audio palette in place right now.

This release is a big one, with a major impact on the game experience. We expect some rough edges, both technical and experiential, so please give us your feedback - we’re always listening.
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: New release: Basic animations and music!

Postby Danes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Will animation be processor-intensive?
One of the reasons I play Conclave is because of it doesn't need me to have good GPU, and I'm a bit worried if the animation would negate this advantage.
I hope it's not, but if it is, would it be possible to turn off the animation?
Danes

Postby 10x10room » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

The animations are pretty basic, but some browsers do better with them than others. Let us know if you run into problems!
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby torikamal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I just wanted to add that I absolutely love the music! It really helps to draw you further into the game. Great choice!
torikamal

Postby 10x10room » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

torikamal wrote:I just wanted to add that I absolutely love the music! It really helps to draw you further into the game. Great choice!

It should only get better today, as the updated quests take advantage of the full soundtrack.
10x10room
Site Admin

Return to Announcements