New release: Sound effects and more animations!

Official announcements about Conclave.

New release: Sound effects and more animations!

Postby 10x10room » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Today we made our last big release before we start delivering the new quests. It includes many new animations, and the first use of sound effects in Conclave.

New animations

Conclave got its first combat animations a few weeks ago when we released animated token movement. Now there are many more events which are animated, and we think they make a big difference in the game experience - especially in conjunction with sound effects. Here's a list of what's now animated:

• Dealing damage
  • Getting bonuses/penalties
  • Getting and losing conditions
  • Refreshing an ability
  • Healing
  • Missing, failing to deal damage, and failing with an effect
There are a number of new icons in use to show the nature of the bonuses or penalties received by a combatant, like bonuses to attack or deal damage. You can learn what these are just by watching the animations and reading the narrative, but we'll also be updating the Quick Reference to define all the icons, and will be looking for other ways to help you understand them as well.

Sound effects

Combat is now filled with sound effects, reinforcing the action depicted by animations. There are effects corresponding to every combat animation; additionally, each damage type, from fire to edged to spirit damage, has a sound effect of its own.

One decision we made with sound effects was to use very short instrumental music pieces to convey some of the more abstract notions, like adding a condition or imposing a modifier on a combatant. This wouldn't have been possible without Sam Hulick, who generously donated some time to take instruments used in the Conclave soundtrack and create the audio "icons" used in these circumstances. We hope you like the result.

Sound effects, like music, don't play on mobile devices, again to avoid busting your data plans. Also like music, you can mute them with a click of the audio icon at the top of the screen. We're interested in your thoughts on the best approach to sound effects on mobile.

Sound is tricky to do well on the Web, so please let us know if you run into any odd behavior. Thanks!
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: New release: Sound effects and more animations!

Postby Crazypoet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for the info - I wondered what was happening... ;)

On my iPad running Safari, I get the first animation, then nothing - the view of the battlemap freezes, even though the next event button takes me through each subsequent action. Nothing changes on the battlemap until/unless I exit from the quest view, back to the main character screen. Then, returning back to the quest view, in can see what's changed.

Edit - manually refreshing the screen also works
Last edited by Crazypoet on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazypoet

Postby Crazypoet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm

And... Can we at least get an option to get sound on mobile devices? Perhaps off by default, but can be enabled throughg a settings menu?

I ask because I play on either my iPad or iPhone about 90% of the time, in areas where I'm using a WiFi connection (so no risk to my data plan). I suspect that I'm not the only one in this unhappy state...
Crazypoet

Postby 10x10room » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 pm

@crazypoet, sorry to hear that you are running into trouble! We'll look into that first thing tomorrow. I take it things worked okay for you before, when there were no sound effects and only movement animations?

We're definitely open to offering a setting that allows mobile users to turn on music and sound effects.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby 10x10room » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Just put out a fix. Let us know if it takes care of the problem for you.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby Crazypoet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 am

Just tried again, and it seems to be working - thanks, guys!
Crazypoet

Postby Callum » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

The sound effects are great, and the combination of short musical pieces for "magical" effects and simple footsteps and swishes works well. One thing that seems to be missing is a sound effect when an enemy is defeated - perhaps something like the Wilhelm scream?
Callum

Postby 10x10room » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Ha! Loved the compilation!

Yes, we definitely want to add a sound effect for defeating a foe, as well as a few other circumstances like characters joining or leaving the party.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby torikamal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm

I'd also like to add that the sound effects are a great addition. I love how this game has evolved from when I first started playing it--can't wait to see what else is in store!
torikamal

Postby 10x10room » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

torikamal wrote:I'd also like to add that the sound effects are a great addition. I love how this game has evolved from when I first started playing it--can't wait to see what else is in store!

Thanks tori! That means a lot from a long-time supporter like you.
10x10room
Site Admin

Return to Announcements