What's in the works for Conclave: July 2013

Official announcements about Conclave.

What's in the works for Conclave: July 2013

Postby 10x10room » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am

Our development schedule is a little lighter than usual this month, as we're spending some time traveling and recharging now that things are a little less hectic. We've still got some good improvements in the works for the near term, however:

Guilds: We're well into development here. In the initial release, guilds will give you a private, persistent space to organize parties and chat with other Conclave players you invite. The guild's founder will also get to choose a name and create an emblem that will identify its members.

Revisiting the Runecaster: Although the Runecaster can be very powerful, it has a couple of drawbacks, particularly in solo play, that we'd like to address. We've started discussing some options based on your feedback in the forums; the changes aren't likely to be drastic but should smooth the experience of playing the archetype a bit.

Bug fixes, balance tweaks, and performance improvements: This is more of an ongoing effort, as we try to include a few improvements with every major release we do. Taking an action, especially at the end of the round when foes act, is one area we're focusing on.

Longer term, we're eager to get started on Conclave's first expansion and a more mobile-friendly interface for the game. How quickly we're able to take those on depends on how well the game does in the next couple of months; the more people who purchase it, the more time we'll be able to spend on development rather than promotion, marketing, and fundraising. So spread the word!
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: What's in the works for Conclave: July 2013

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 am

Vanguards have some serious soloing problems too.
Balance-wise they derive their efficiency from more stats than other archetypes: They have to choose between damage output (Str), Defense (Agi) and Health pool (Sta) [And if they want a shot at the Thunderous Maul, they need to "waste" a point on Will]. Compare to three other archetypes which all make sense with just one major stat: Either because they don't need Dodge and Health so much due to ranged attack, or because their main damage stat happens to be Agility. Beacons are better able to avoid fighting multiple enemies at once.
Especially the Ash and Ember first encounter is gruesome for vanguards.
Mother Superior

Postby mrmewtwo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 pm

on that subject, i'd like to resubmit the innate (or something) defense bonus or physical protection bonus (or something) idea for vanguards.
Hold on... Another player has acted!
mrmewtwo

Postby Danes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Strength could give a small health bonus. Pretty sure it has some more benefits than just buffing vanguards, but just putting it out there.

Now that I think of it, vanguards can wield a main hand weapon and an offhand shield. Since some weapons also give bonus to dodge, I think that just might work.
Danes

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 am

Can you deliberate a bit on that, Danes?
Shields tend to make a vanguard's Dodge approach that of a Rogue several levels lower. In the endgame, shields are not so useful, because the enemies have very good odds on their attacks.
At least the trend I see is vanguards going for heavy armor and a two-handed weapon.
Mother Superior

Postby Crazypoet » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 am

Mother Superior wrote:Can you deliberate a bit on that, Danes?
Shields tend to make a vanguard's Dodge approach that of a Rogue several levels lower. In the endgame, shields are not so useful, because the enemies have very good odds on their attacks.
At least the trend I see is vanguards going for heavy armor and a two-handed weapon.

Overall, I agree.

In a party, at high levels, the Vanguard does best with a maul and good armor.

Solo takes a different approach - there are times when one needs all the defense one can muster. Some of the fights needed good armor, a good buckler (saves encumbrance) AND a weapon like the Spireguard Truncheon with its defense bonus just to survive... My Lumyn Vanguard still got hit, but less often and with less severity. That gave him the time he needed.
Crazypoet

Postby Skjaldbakka » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:19 pm

At level 8, I just had to switch to using a shield in my party for the meatgrinder quest (Keep on the Agenor). Was previously (and will go back to) two-handed spec. My other vanguard is focusing on agility and defense, and using tactical movement, attack boosting weapons, and attack boosting strikes. The Spireguard Truncheon was a godsend for that build.
Skjaldbakka

Postby Danes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Mother Superior wrote:Can you deliberate a bit on that, Danes?

I didn't play so many vanguards, so I'll just take your word for it. Although, using shields also give you some good abilities... at the expense of two-handed weapon mastery.
Danes

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 am

No worries, Danes, I was just confuzzled about what you meant.
And skjaldbakka made the pieces fall into place, the wall of meat quests are tactically very different.
On the other end of the scale are the scions with large health, good protection and relatively few attacks.
Mother Superior

Postby derek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:22 am

We do plan to revisit the Vanguard. Early in the beta, the archetype seemed to be quite strong, but as we've introduced new foes and abilities, the balance might have shifted.
derek

Return to Announcements