Update: Change to Strength-based damage bonus

Official announcements about Conclave.

Update: Change to Strength-based damage bonus

Postby 10x10room » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:30 am

In Conclave, we want every archetype to support a mix of play styles, so that you can choose to emphasize damage-dealing, long-term survival, intra-party synergies, unlocking story options, or any combination therefore. With the Vanguard and Beacon, one choice you have to make is whether to put points into Strength, which grants damage bonuses to attacks with Bludgeon and Polearm weapons.

Based on your feedback and our own experience, this bonus seems to be underperforming. So we've decided to boost it.

Before, Strength-based attacks dealt +1 damage at Strength 8 and +2 at Strength 11. Now, Strength-based attacks deal +1 damage at Strength 7, +2 at Strength 9, and +3 at Strength 11. That means that:

• All starting Vanguards now deal +1 damage with their attacks. Forgeborn Beacons do as well.
  • Other Beacons can get the +1 by boosting Strength at level 4.
  • The +2 bonus is much more achievable in general, and +3 is possible.
While this might not sound like a big difference, it adds up quickly considering how many times it comes up. If you're an offense-minded player, you should see results like the following a bit more often:

Try it out, and let us know what you think.
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: Update: Change to Strength-based damage bonus

Postby Zephkiel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 am

Hello,

Thanks for the little boost.
I think it really benefits Beacon more than vanguard. As a vanguard, If you aim for 8 AGI (dodge + sure footed, staple , + dash, too) then you can go no higher than 8 STR if you play Forgeborn or Nix (STR/AGI race). If you don't play one of those race, you'll have to make a sacrifice, either 7 STR (the best way) or 7 AGI (meh). As a beacon, you have one less STR, so basically, you're stuck as 7 STR. Good, you've hit a treshold. Wheread the 8 STR as vanguard just help a bit for hitting harder in the form of slid / critical.
So damage wise, it's not really an improvement, except for beacon, wich were already doing great damage, but are needing survivability i think, since they lack a shield.

I think that just eventually raising the damage of some weapon could be done to help. damage wise we're okay, ranger are a bit over the top (especially when we consider they do more than melee, while kiting and having high dodge chance...), Rogue burst is, too, but they can be at risk if we do not take into account the unfair stealth mechanic.
Zephkiel

Postby Zephkiel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:10 am

I have another idea about that.

To be frank, in my opinion and since how the game is done, relying only on dodge instead of absorption / anything else any tank could do in any game, if a melee char usee a 2H weapon, it should really be noticeable.

I dont see myself using a 2H weapon and loosing my shield. The game is made in such way that outliving monsters works, whereas out-dpsing them dont, since they have much superior stats, and always outnumbering us.

For 1h weaps, we have Bonus damage = Each point of STR above 5 give 0.5 Damage
For 2H, since the force is more felt, since they are heavier, i think we could do damage = Each point of STR above 5 = +1 damage.

Combined with the two handed mastery (wich is a staple, but also make us take a skill slot)we'd be closer to what 2H charatcer are, instead of just poking the ennemy for 2 more damage but being beat to death afterwards.

Also, if tanking mechanics are changed afterward, everything goes (like perhaps lowering base damage, so end game with the higher scaling you achieve greater damage than the old formula), but to me it's common sense that 2H weapon scale better.

As a side note, i dont think i'll ever play 2H for the record. i'm not trying to change the game the way i want to to be OP.
Zephkiel

Postby derek » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:14 pm

To be frank, in my opinion and since how the game is done, relying only on dodge instead of absorption / anything else any tank could do in any game, if a melee char usee a 2H weapon, it should really be noticeable.

I dont see myself using a 2H weapon and loosing my shield. The game is made in such way that outliving monsters works, whereas out-dpsing them dont, since they have much superior stats, and always outnumbering us.

I wonder if this is a matter of play style. I've observed (and played) some Vanguards that were *very* effective with two-handed weapons and an aggressive approach. Foes can't hurt you if they're already down. :)

That said, it's certainly possible we don't have the balance quite right. We'd love to hear from other players on this, too.
derek

Postby Zephkiel » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Honestly, since skill give fixed damage bonus (making them more interesting for low damage weap), loosing up to 3 dodge from shield to gain some measly damage is just not worth it.
Twinked character dont count, and even then, i dont see 2h vanguard getting past some fight, while a shield vanguard breeze through it "dude missed you, again."
Zephkiel

Postby derek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:06 pm

i dont see 2h vanguard getting past some fight

I can only say that this doesn't match my own experience or what I've heard in the past. If there are specific fights that are still troublesome, however, I would definitely like to hear about them. It's always possible we've missed something.
derek

Return to Announcements