Basic Attack removed, Beacon and Vanguard updated

Official announcements about Conclave.

Basic Attack removed, Beacon and Vanguard updated

Postby 10x10room » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 am

Basic Attack has been removed from the game entirely.

The Beacon and Vanguard have been updated, partly as a consequence of the removal of Basic Attack. The level 1 Vanguard now starts with Smash, an at-will major attack that ignores the first point of physical protection your target has. Meanwhile, the Beacon's Lead by Example now grants the inspired condition to nearby allies, instead of granting a +5 to attack. This takes the place of Battle Call, which has been removed.

The addition of Smash delays the Vanguard acquiring certain abilities, and the removal of Battle Call means the Beacon gets some abilities sooner.

More details on these changes, and an explanation for them, will be available in the blog shortly.
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: Basic Attack removed, Beacon and Vanguard updated

Postby 10x10room » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Bump.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby larryhl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I mentioned this on the blog, but the description of Valiant Strike needs to be updated now since Battle Call doesn't exist anymore. I took a peek at Haft Blow (not lvl 5 so don't have Whirling Strike yet), and it looks great. I'm especially happy that it is at-will.
larryhl

Postby Skjaldbakka » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm not sure I like Lead by Example being the new mechanism for becoming Inspired as a Beacon. The reason for this is that the Beacon is one of the low-attack bonus classes, and is/was reliant on getting that +5 to hit from being inspired, combined with the +5 to hit from Valiant Blow, to compensate for that. That the Beacon now has to successfully connect without any of those bonuses in order to get its class mojo started seems like a recipe for frustration.
Skjaldbakka

Postby nick » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 pm

One of the things we are currently discussing is whether to make a change to make the Beacon more likely to hit in general. Stay tuned.
nick

Postby larryhl » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah...my initial excitement over Haft Blow has faded too. More often than not the check fails due to the Beacon's low Polearm score. Did I mention that this even happens against Staggered creatures? :cry:
larryhl

Postby Skjaldbakka » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 pm

You could just make the Inspire effect occur whether the attack hits or misses, like it did before.
Skjaldbakka

Return to Announcements