Updates to Recuperate, Rally, Defiance

Official announcements about Conclave.

Updates to Recuperate, Rally, Defiance

Postby 10x10room » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Prompted by player concerns about frustrations with recovering from conditions, we reworked three abilities.

1. Recuperate, now renamed Recover, automatically removes the off-balance and dazed conditions, instead of giving you a chance to recover from any conditions you might currently be experiencing.

2. Rally automatically removes the afraid, dazed, and staggered conditions from you and each adjacent ally, instead of giving a chance for all party members within two squares to recover from any conditions they might be experiencing.

3. Defiance, now renamed Persevere, automatically removes the nauseated, staggered, and weakened conditions, instead of giving you a chance to recover from any conditions you might be currently experiencing. It also heals 3-4 damage instead of 3-6.

We made these specific changes for a couple of reasons. First, the chance of recovering from a condition with any given recovery check is pretty small. This annoyed many players who expected to recover from these conditions sooner. For complicated reasons I won't go into here, we chose not to make this kind of recovery more likely.

Second, we decided we liked the model used by Woundbinding and Secrets of Herbalism, each of which guarantee recovery from a small number of specific conditions - so we expanded it. Recover gives everybody an easy - though time-consuming - way to shake off the wimpiest of conditions: you just take a moment to clear your head and regain your footing. Rally urges nearby friends to shake off two mind-affecting conditions (afraid and dazed), and fight off the pain of a stagger. Persevere allows you to grit your teeth and ignore three different physical conditions.

Between these abilities and the preexisting Woundbinding and Secrets of Herbalism, there's an ability out there to remove any condition except burning and restrained. We hope soon to make water terrain remove burning; meanwhile, we like that restrained is powerful and hard to remove (though there will be ways to do so at higher levels).

This is unlikely to be the last iteration on condition recovery, but we hope it's a positive step. Let us know what you think.
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: Updates to Recuperate, Rally, Defiance

Postby imma » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 am

Sounds like a good idea :-) promotes a varied and interesting list of abilities
I really like the way you've implemented conditions too :D perhaps add 'prone'? i'll write an entry for it.
imma

Postby nick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Glad you like the update!

Conditions suggestions are always welcome. We are trying to keep the list reasonably tight, but there may still be room for a few more.
nick

Postby larryhl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm

I have to say I hate the reduced range of Rally. Why was it reduced to just adjacent squares? It makes the ability pretty much useless except for using on yourself. I understand that it's now a guaranteed removal of some effects, which can be very powerful, but abilities that are extremely situational are just that - situational. If it's considered too powerful at 2 squares, make it a 1/challenge action. Most of the later encounters are difficult enough that removing those conditions once isn't going to guarantee a win.
larryhl

Postby 10x10room » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Appreciate the feedback, larryhl. The guaranteed removal was indeed the main reason, especially given the reliance of some foes on being able to hit the whole party with something like an afraid effect, then follow up with an ability that only hurts afraid characters. If Rally makes it too easy to remove a condition from the whole party - especially with just a minor action - those foes get much weaker. Another reason is that we are trying to save wider effects for an archetype we have planned for the future.

All that said, Rally might still need to return to its 2-square form. If others have opinions on the topic, please chime in.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby surfarcher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 pm

I agree with lattyhl that Rally has gone from being pretty decent to situational. And situational means useless unless you happen to be in just the right scenario. Indeed, many of the Beacons in my partys have commented that "Rally sucks now". I know my Beacon finds it frustrating when he's chasing a charging Vanguard and needs to Rally folks... But noone is adjacent.

So I'll second the call for "2 square and 1/ or 2/ encounter".
Check out my Guild Profile.
surfarcher

Return to Announcements