Can't play on Android phone

Bugs are the enemy; help us find and squish them.

Can't play on Android phone

Postby Callum » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:19 am

I used to be able to play on my Android smartphone, using Chrome, but I just tried again today (for the first time in a while) and there's a new bug that stops me from playing. Whenever I click on the "Act" button, I get the "Acting..." version briefly and then it goes back to "Act" without doing anything else. I'm running Android 4.4.4 and Chrome 34.0.1847.114.
Callum

Re: Can't play on Android phone

Postby Callum » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:47 am

Given that I mainly play on my phone, this is quite a frustrating issue. I'm aware it may be caused by Android or Chrome, but it still means that I can't play.

I see that Derek hasn't visited the forum since August 15th, so I don't suppose I should expect a reply any time soon...
Callum

Postby Callum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 am

In addition, if I type in the chat box and press Send, I get an error message saying "You must be logged out to do that", and the Characters page appears within the chat window.
Callum

Postby derek » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Callum, sorry to not respond sooner. I somehow overlooked your posts to this thread the last few times I've been on the forums.

That's a very puzzling set of symptoms, especially since we haven't made any recent changes in those areas, and our automated error logging hasn't reported anything. Are you seeing this behavior with all your characters? Also, do you remember when you were last able to play without problems?

Chrome is usually a pretty well-behaved browser, but it's possible that particular version has a glitch on Android. Updating to a newer version -- I think Chrome 37 is out -- might be worth a shot. If you haven't tried logging out and clearing your browser cache, that would also be worth trying. We've seen a few cases in the past where mobile browsers cached bad data when there was a connection hiccup.

Let me know if any of that helps. In the meantime, I'll continue digging into the problem.
derek

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply, Derek.

Yes, I see this behaviour with all my characters (although the chat window strangeness now seems to have gone away). I can't be sure when the Act button last worked properly in Chrome - looking over my other characters, my best guess is August 14th.

The user reports on the newer version of Chrome haven't been good, particularly for my device, so I'm reluctant to upgrade at the moment. Currently, I've installed Firefox on my phone just to play Conclave, and it seems to be working okay.
Callum

Postby derek » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Glad to hear Firefox is working, at least. If you get a chance, could you tell me what device you're using? I'm still trying to track down the issue.
derek

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 pm

It's a Nexus 4.
Callum

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 pm

I've now updated to Chrome 38.0.125.102, and I still see that same behaviour - clicking on the "Act" button only produces a temporary switch to "Acting...", and no action occurs.
Callum

Postby derek » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Frustrating. I'll try to dig up a Nexus 4 for some debugging, as I haven't been able to reproduce this on the devices I have access to.
derek

Return to Issues