Poll: How do you feel about the trow?

Discussion of anything else related to the game: tips, quests, the story, and so on.

How do you feel about the trow?

I like them just as they are!
25%
Their trait bonus (+1 Fortitude) seems less useful.
13%
Their starting ability (Trow Wisdom) seems weak.
50%
Aesthetically, they're just not my style.
6%
I have more complicated feelings I will explain in the comments.
6%

Total votes : 16

Poll: How do you feel about the trow?

Postby 10x10room » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:08 am

Recently we've noticed that the trow are lagging behind a bit in their popularity. Since we want all the starting options for characters to be compelling in one way or another, we thought we'd ask whether we need to give the trow a little more love.

So, fellow members of the Conclave, what say you?
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: Poll: How do you feel about the trow?

Postby FuhFuhFresh » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm

I know I don't use them, but without any specific reason why... if I had to break it down:

+1 to Fort: nobody attacks with Fort - it's a HP grab. I'd rather get the extra attack to try to trigger bleeding, burning or staggered.
Trow Wisdom: Study the Situation is a True Bow minor that does the same thing... you get 2 per encounter (I think) instead of 1, and it's not a racial trait.

This is a little bit of an aside, but I seem to remember most attacks being weapon attacks. Things like Tactics and Insights have checks, not damage ties... if Fort boosted one of those that was worth attacking with, it'd make sense to grab that starting bonus.
FuhFuhFresh

Postby Happerry » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:52 pm

No real opinion on the Fort bonus, but I have to agree that Trow Wisdom is less then useful. (Actually, I don't think I've ever had reason to actually use it on my Trow Beacon.) Compared to using Haft Blow to deal damage, or Fend Off to protect an ally, a Healing ability to keep from loosing the encounter, or Trip to set someone up to be murdered by a Rogue, it just isn't worth the precious action you need to spend to use it, specially when, generally speaking, I've usually had pretty decent odds of hitting with the normal attack. Or at least I didn't miss much.

Worst of all, it doesn't even feel useful because you can't really see how it effects you. Since we can't see the actual rolls, no one can see how effective it actually is. Turned a fail into a success? As far as we can tell it's just a normal attack. Kept someone from hitting you? I don't know about other people, but I tend to skip watching the enemies phase and just plan my actions on the situation as is current on my turn, so I'd never know, and even if it did, a miss is a miss and that happens sometimes. It's impossible to tell if that was the bonus or not. (And speaking of attacks, we don't really know how defenses work so we can't even say for sure if it helps our defense or not, but if not and it only effects our actual action because there's no actual 'defense check' it's even more weaksauce in comparison to things like Defensive Posture which helps whenever we get attacked and not just on the single action we have left after we spend our lesser action on Troy Wisdom.)

Compared to 'Regain an Ability' type uniques like the Forgeborn and Nix have, or even Mezoar Camouflage, with it being a passive so you don't have to spend actions on it, Trow Wisdom is definitely the looser.
Last edited by Happerry on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happerry

Postby Callum » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 pm

What happery said!
Callum

Postby 10x10room » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks for the votes and the feedback, everyone. I think we're going to give the trow's starting ability a boost. We've started to look at alternatives and hope to push out a change shortly after holidays.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:38 pm

The obvious would be to have it remove some negative effects...
Mother Superior

Postby teegee » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:59 pm

I only run Trow and Forgeborn. I like the Trow artwork the best, that's for sure!

I run a Trow True Bow and a Runecaster. I like the extra HP it means I can be more aggressive with them.
teegee

Postby 10x10room » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks to everyone for voting and sharing your thoughts. As you've probably noticed, we chose to improve the trow's starting ability by having it remove the poisoned condition in addition to improving all checks for the rest of the round. Since then we've seen a small bump in the popularity of the trow, but we haven't ruled out making another change.
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby dehielo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm

I know I'm answering this question after some modifications have been made but to me, the trow was from the start the most appealing character. Just by the description. Not taking into account if it is or not balanced with all the others statistic-wise.
dehielo

Return to General Discussion