Soloing the game

Discussion of anything else related to the game: tips, quests, the story, and so on.

Soloing the game

Postby Hety » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Just finished all the quests solo with Mezoar Beacon. Meet Inanna!

Just to be clear, i played up to lvl 3 with some random ppl, but after that it ws pure solo. Parties (especially big ones) tend to be extremely slow to act, so i was bored. Clearing the game took less than 6 hours i believe.

Now, to the interesting part. Lvl 10 hero end stats and gear.

As you can see i have all best in slot items(the question of Bottle of Mists vs Storm eye is an open one). When it comes to itemization any passive > any active ability due to fact that you have only 2 actions per turn and you have to deal damage with them. Thus Mezoar passive is quite good. Its especially good against ranged and polearm enemies, coz they are not adjanced and you get +dodge against them if there is noone else close by.
Golden platecoat has a great synergy with Beacon so i amlost always had 8 strength. Spiritwalkers boots and Determined mean that Inspire does not wear off unless the hero is frightened. Ebon Glaive (+3 attack) and Heroic Strike (+3 attack) ensure that i almost always crit. I rarely get a solid hit and never get normal hits. Average damage is around 13 on Heroic Strike. 5 on Haft Blow. All in all its 18 DPR, which is quite good in my opinion. Bottle of Mists is your panic button.

I was lucky enough to get all gear on the first try. I had to redo Thicker than Blood for amulet though.

I also took lots of healing abilities, namely Invigorate and Bolster(its upgrade) proved to be most effective. Amulet of Mogru Dauth comes in handy.

The biggest problem i had was with assassins. Took me 3 reloads to tailor stats and strategy to them. And some luck. Last quest was a breeze tbh. Permanent Inspire is a lil bit OP.

I really hope we will see more quests in the future.
Hety

Re: Soloing the game

Postby derek » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Congrats, Hety! And thanks for sharing your feedback. It's always nice to hear about players finding the synergies we've put in the game.
derek

Postby Zephkiel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:27 am

I disagree with the mindset about Passives > Active.

Honestly, 1 blunt resistance, 1 spirit resistance, such thing are just too situationnal.

Here is my Vanguard

And he have what i'd call BiS item, for me.
As far as active abilities goes :

Batter (class skill) debuff the ennemy dodge, combined with harrier, that also debuff their hit chance. bait and switch allow for some tactical fun. heroic callin allow me to heal for 25% of my total HP. bear claw does good damage, bleed, and give me +2 strenght for a great sweeping blow or to do a great heedless Swing / SkullCracker. Dash is awesome, with the lvl 10 skill, i'll be able to travel 4 tile and also attack (currently i have crushing blow for more single target nuke flavor). Same with being able to enrage myself with the belt.

On the major Side, i got great single target attacks, an AOE one. Although with 20+ dodge, i'm already a god so fight can tire out for long without me even feeling a thing. Wich can happens once i'm out of skill, since my raw dps is low (since i'm defense focused - Since hit and crit chance are tied, better be safe than aiming for those +1 damage that dont really make a difference anyway).
The passive are limited to what is really needed.

At the end of a fight, i used all the skills, and i wrecked havoc. Skill are there to be used. I think relying too much on passives, especially crappy one, deprive you from active that could end the fight quicker (although beacon have a great dps right off the bat).
Anyhow, congrats. Beacon arent as easy late game than early game ;) . BTW, you lack the wrist slot. having those OP bear claw could help ;).

In general boots aren't so hot......i got the boots that give dodge upon moving, dont know if it work with charge / assail.
Also if i move 2 time, do i gain 2 dodge?
And if i move + charge?

Devs?

On another note : still waiting for those rogues / archer nerf. Archer is just laughable, and being able to stealth infinitly is just absurd. It should be limited in turn, be removed at any action other than moving, and once per challenge (i have the feeling Op abused it to spam recover, wich effectively make void of any tactical thinking...Stealth should be removed or reworked). For archer, lowering their effective range should do it, they can move while shooting. the long range nuking should be the mage's thing, since he is basically a turret.
Zephkiel

Postby Zephkiel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 am

I really really want the stealth to be nerfed.
A friend of mine plays beacon (and he is terribad in strategy in general), had a difficult fight, i told him about the bottle of mist, now he use it with recover whenever he have a little trouble. I really regret it now.
It's a crutch that should be demolished hard.
HARD.
Zephkiel

Postby derek » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi Zephkiel!

In general boots aren't so hot......i got the boots that give dodge upon moving, dont know if it work with charge / assail.
Also if i move 2 time, do i gain 2 dodge?
And if i move + charge?

You get the Dodge bonus once for each Move-type ability you use in a turn. You can see the type (or types) of an ability when you click on its name to view its summary. Move, Charge, and Assail all count, so it's possible to get the bonus twice if you use Move + Charge or Move + Assail.

On another note : still waiting for those rogues / archer nerf.

We're still considering a couple of adjustments, such as making the unnoticed ability not last indefinitely. One reason we haven't made any changes yet is that all the archetypes are close to equally popular at high levels. For example, there are only about 2.8% more level 10 Rogues than level 10 Beacons, and level 10 True Bows are actually slightly less common than level 10 Beacons.

That's not a perfect measure of power level, but I hope it explains why we're cautious about making changes right now.
derek

Postby Zephkiel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:35 am

True Bow problem lie in the fact that's it's a range, and that it's primary stat also allow him to dodge. Also its range is really too good. just try playing a true bow then a melee, you'll see the difference in the hardest mission. Whereas as a melee you have to devise a strategy, as a true bow you just have to roll your head on the keyboard and land tactical nuke from afar. If any problem, just move while attacking...
With just a bow, my level 6 true bow can do any mission, even the hardest.

For the rogue, the stat dipping in attack and defense is less of an issue since it's a melee, but each use of unnoticed is basically a +100%HP, wich means that with a bottle of mist, he could heal himself fully 3 time while doing incredible damage from out of stealth.
TL;DR : The stealth ability/item are used more for healing than for ambushing. When a talent is used for something else than its intended purpose, something have to be done.

That's really what's hurt about the stealth. the fact that it's basically the best heal in the game. Just having it fade on something else than move / defensive posture would be enough. If he want to stay cloacked forever, well, ok, if it hinder the team, it's another story.

About population :
It's not because people prefer playing this or that, that it's better or not.
I just like mauling things with brute force.
But objectively, rogue and TB are just ahead of the rest. they dont even need good loots.

About the answer for my question :
Thanks a lot! :)
Zephkiel

Return to General Discussion