New release: Utility slot and usable items

Official announcements about Conclave.

New release: Utility slot and usable items

Postby 10x10room » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Yet another new release for you!

First, we've added the utility slot, which is a new equipment slot. This is where you stash quick-access, limited-use items, such as throwing knives, balms, and poultices. We've populated the Vault with a number of items that take advantage of this slot, starting at the low low cost of 125 Renown.

Second, we can now support usable items in the game, which are items that grant minor and major abilities of their own. For example, the new Healing Poultice grants you the Apply Poultice ability:

Apply Poultice
Usable 1/quest
Major action
You heal 2-5 damage.

Previously, items could only grant passive abilities, so this opens up a lot of new possibilities - possibilities the new Vault items start to explore, but which will get a lot more use in the upcoming "found treasure" release.

When you view your character sheet, you'll see the abilities granted to you by your items. You'll also see that we mark innate abilities (those you've learned, or gotten from your race or archetype) differently from equipment-based abilities.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think.
10x10room
Site Admin

Re: New release: Utility slot and usable items

Postby Crazypoet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:40 am

Sweeeeeet! This adds some *interesting* new options...

Y'all have been busy - thank you for all the hard work.
Crazypoet

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm

I really like these new options, but for a once-per-quest, they're a bit expensive, aren't they? Especially since they're major abilities.
Mother Superior

Postby Crazypoet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I see that limit as a game-balance thing, but, yeah - they're pricey.

They do open up new approaches, though? A party that coordinates their purchases could have a lot of flexibility
Crazypoet

Postby Relay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I feel like they would be more appropriate as minor actions and maybe 1/challenge? but maybe that would make them overpowered. just a thought
Relay

Postby 10x10room » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 am

@Relay: We considered making them minor actions, but indeed felt they'd be overpowered unless we made their effects weaker. We felt it was better that they have reasonably strong effects instead. There's also a flavor element to the decision: drawing that knife or poultice or whatever takes time, all the more so if you already have something in your hand (and almost all Conclave characters carry something in both hands all the time).

@Mother Superior: Let us know what your experience is with them over time. Hitting the sweet spot for the power level and cost of 1/quest abilities is challenging!
10x10room
Site Admin

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

So far I think the more expensive ones are overpriced, but the cheaper ones are about right.
It would make sense if stuff like throwing hammer and throwing knives would be 1/encounter.
I've never actually used poultices, but It's felt reassuring to have them along :D
The stoneskin potion is sweet, it might not do an awful lot, but I like the idea of having a potion of kickass along, and I've actually used it.
The alchemist pitch thing has a crazy price tag, considering that bringing it along means ditching the maximum weapon AND all but the cheapest armor. I don't see it happening at under 1500 prestige...
One thing to consider would be to break the normal pricing scheme for the utilities - use them to soak up the odd amounts of prestige from totals like 400, 700, 1200, etc.
125 for the herbal poultice might be ok, but then again 75 might also... the poultice isn't ground-shattering. Something to consider.

Booster items might be another angle: Items that boost a specific ability... like, a wand of chill wind that makes the gust power do some damage, that'd be awesome, add flavor and pizzazz.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Mother Superior

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 am

Strange imbalance between throwing knives (3/challenge, no penalties) and Throwing hammer (1/challenge, -2 to checks[by the way, for how long? Just for the throw, or till end of turn?]).
It seems to me that the weapon sizes supports the number of uses per challenge, but the hammer should then do more damage.
Mother Superior

Return to Announcements